Salt Lake Sites: History
Discover the history of Salt Lake.
- Fold3.com (*)
Fold3.com lets you access a massive database of historical miltary records.
- Utah History To Go (historytogo.utah.gov)
An online service from the state of Utah, UtahHistoryToGo has a collection of online articles about the history of Utah.
- Utah Heritage Foundation (www.utahheritagefoundation.com) - review
UHF is a non-profit statewide historic preservation organization dedicated to preserving, protecting, and promoting Utah's historic buildings.
- Utah Ski Archives (www.skiarchives.org)
a comprehensive history of skiing in Utah and the Intermountain region...housed in the Marriot Library.
- Utah Historical Society (www.history.utah.gov)
A site by the state of Utah with information on the history of Utah.
- Bancroft's History of Utah 1540-1886 (www.utlm.org)
An excellent 28 chapter online book concerning the history of Utah. Includes information on the Spanish Explorers who first discovered the region, indian history and a recount of the early settlers in the state.
- Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (www.loc.gov)
The Library of Congress displays the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ceding Texas, Utah and other territories to the US for $15M. Signed on 2/2/1848, Utah became part of the US less than a year after the founding of Salt Lake City.
- Mountain Meadows Association (www.mtn-meadows-assoc.com)
was organized in 1989 as a joint effort by the descendants of both sides of this tragedy. Its purpose was to erect a suitable memorial to honor the memory of those who lost their lives in the massacre in September of 1857.
- UtahRails.net (utahrails.net)
Includes information about Utah's railroads, including both Union Pacific and Rio Grande. Also includes histories of railroads and mining in Bingham Canyon, and Utah's coal mining industry.
- National Register of Historical Places (www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com)
Site lists historic districts in Salt Lake.
- PACIFIC RAILROAD - The Last Spike - New York Times, May 11, 1869 (cprr.org)
Photos and reprint of the NY Times article on the completion of the transcontinental railroad.
- PBS - Ken Burns - The West (www.pbs.org)
The web site for the Ken Burns series 'The West'
- The U.S. Mormon Battalion, Inc. (www.mormonbattalion.com)
A site dedicated to the history of the Mormon Battalion.
- Animated Flags of Utah. (www.us-american-flags.com)
Animated Flags of Utah. Flag of Utah. Free Animated Gifs Flags of the State of Utah. United States of America. Animated Gif Flag. Pictures of flags. Flags encyclopedia. Pictures and images of flag and banner. US America Animated Flags. States of the Union
- Sons of Utah Pioneers (www.sonsofutahpioneers.org)
Organization works to record and preserve Utah's History.
- Utah Life Science Online (www.utahlifescience.com)
"Utah BioHistory" tells the story of the scientists, institutions, political leaders, and significant events that are the foundation of the biotechnology and medical device industries in the state of Utah.
- Utah State Archives (www.archives.state.ut.us)
Utah State Archives provides access to historical government documents.
- Random History (www.randomhistory.com)
Random History and Word Origins for the Curious Mind
- Utah Heritage Foundation (www.utahheritagefoundation.org) - review
The Utah Heritage Foundation is interested in preserving and promoting historic buildings.
- Groberg Films (www.grobergfilms.com)
Groberg Films produces documentaries for public television.
- Alta Historical Society (www.altahistory.org)
The Alta Historical Society works to preserve the history of Alta and the Wasatch Mountains.
- Mormon Trails Association (www.mormontrails.org)
A group dedicated to promoting the history of the Mormon Trail and Mormon Pioneer history.
- Splinters of a Nation (splintersofanation.com)
Scott Porter is creating a documentary about the experiences of German PoWs during WWII.
- LDS - Church History (Community Profile)
Site has information about the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
- Mountain West Digital Library (mwdl.org)
MWDL offers historical archives from the Mountain West.
Category Hits 14533
*This is an affiliate link.